Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Building Surveyors Surrey: 01932 864375

party wall surveyor image

Party Wall Notice Service in Surrey

Excited about a refurbishment or renovation? Just before you bring the builders in and start replacing the old with the new, if you live in a terraced or semi-detached property, you’ll need to notify the adjoining owners. In fact, you’re legally obligated to do so.

Quick guide to party wall notices

A Party Wall Notice is practically a letter that informs the adjoining owner of a building owner’s intention to carry out construction work on a party wall. And without serving one you could be subject to legal action. Discuss your project with us today for free to see how we can help.

Have you been served a Party Wall Notice, or planning to do so? If your house shares a wall or a boundary with your neighbour, and building work is planned on one side of the wall or structure, then the Party Wall Act 1996 obligates you to notify your neighbour, i.e. give your neighbour sufficient notice of the proposed construction work with a Party Wall Notice.

The Party Wall Act does not specifically state consequences that will befall the building owner if they fail to give an adjoining owner notice before commencing work to a party wall – and it does allow for when work is so minor that there’s little risk of the wall’s structural strength being affected. 

However, don’t let the above lead you to believe you can get away without serving one. If your neighbour is switched on, they can still seek redress and compensation if you fail to inform them before starting work to the party wall.

Redresses can come in the forms of an injunction, preventing the work from taking places, or to claim damages.

So we would always advice to give notice and approach with caution as party walls are often a cause for dispute. 

The building owner planning to undertake work will need to serve the adjoining owner before work commences. So, if you’re planning to make amendments and changes that affect the party wall, then it is your responsibility to serve the notice.

The Party Wall Act 1996 lists three main types of notices:

  • Line of Junction Notice (to be served 1 month before)
  • Party Structure Notice (to be served 2 months before)
  • Notice of Adjacent Excavation (to be served 1 month before)

The answer will depend on the type of works you propose to undertake, however, generally, the following information should be included:

  1. The nature of the work you intend to do to the party wall.
  2. Your proposed start date for the construction.
  3. Information about whether the work requires special foundations.
  4. Notification that you’ve appointed a surveyor.
  5. An acknowledgement of the Party Wall Notice.

A Party Wall Notice is required for the following:

  • Cutting into the party wall
  • Demolishing and rebuilding a party wall
  • Raising or shortening the party wall’s height
  • Removing a chimney on a party wall
  • Underpinning a party wall
  • Constructing a new wall at the boundary
  • Excavating near to an adjoining owner’s structure
  • Carrying out works to a party fence wall (i.e. shared wall with no building attached)

Arrange a Free Consultation

It’s 100% recommended to serve a Party Wall Notice. Consult with our qualified surveyors and to determine whether any planned construction on a neighbouring wall or property requires an agreement. 

Failing to obtain the necessary agreements often leads to disputes and legal issues with your neighbours that can result in delays and additional costs before you even get started.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Service Type
Types of Work
Contact Details
Chris Thoume
Chris Thoume
Great experience working with Simon: he took me through the process in simple terms and was always willing to provide considered pragmatic advice.
Jessica Sanzone
Jessica Sanzone
Would highly recommend using Westville Associates. Appointed Brett to act for us in regards to some party wall matters. We found him to be polite and professional with a wealth of knowledge in this field. Great communication throughout the process. Great service from start to finish.
Kate Rennie
Kate Rennie
I was recommended to use Westville Associates through a colleague to carry out a survey of a house we were looking to purchase. I couldn’t have been happier with the whole process. From start to finish, Simon was professional, punctual, through and gave good advice with issues that arose from the survey. I have and will continue to recommend Westville Associates to anyone wishing to carry out any surveys.
Niki Yazdanian
Niki Yazdanian
Simon carried out a full building survey for us on a property in Oxted. We found him to be prompt, professional, very knowledgeable, a great service all round. We would have no hesitation in recommending him and using him again.
Sophie Beed
Sophie Beed
Really recommend Westville, great communication and advice. Clear, concise and quick report and more than happy to discuss any points to help us understand our purchase better.
Sara Mahdavian
Sara Mahdavian
We used Wesville Associates for a full Building Survey for our property in Claygate after a recommendation from a friend. Simon was very personable, knowledgable and professional, and was able to work around our tight timeframe. We felt in good hands from the start!
“Westville Associates undertook a homebuyers report for us prior to the purchase of our flat in Wandsworth. The service from start to finish was exemplary. Simon booked us in, undertook the inspection and presented the report to us all within 7 working days which was appreciated as time was against us somewhat. The after sales care was also great as we had several questions about the property that were dealt with over the phone. Friendly, professional and prompt service. Would definitely recommend. Rob.”
Craig C
Craig C
I have worked in Surbiton and the surrounding areas as an agent for over 10 years and could not recommend Simon highly enough. He has a wealth of knowledge and goes above and beyond to ensure his clients fully understand the fantastic reports he creates, unlike many other surveyors who just send a confusing report without further explanation of key points. I am so pleased Simon has set up his solo venture - Westville Associates and will be recommending him to all of my clients.
building surveyor surrey

Neighbour Dispute FAQs

If you have received your neighbour’s consent in writing, then you’ll be all set to begin construction.

You should face no problems in the future should you keep disturbance to a minimum and do everything in your power to protect your neighbour’s property and possessions from damage.

However, that said, after this stage, you should undertake a Schedule of Condition to protect your own interests from potential unjustified claims for damage upon completion of the works.

If the neighbour dissents to your Party Wall Notice, then a dispute arises. This is where boundary surveyors are particularly useful as they go into more detail on this issue. But the first step to resolve the dispute is for both parties to assign their own surveyors or to select an Agreed surveyor.

Adjoining owners have 14 days to respond to your Party Wall Notice, and if they don’t respond during this timeframe, then a Party Wall Notice Dispute arises, where a 10 day reminder letter is then served, and if there’s still no notice, then you can appoint a surveyor on their behalf.

Typically, you should send a neighbour a separate Party Wall Notice for each type of work you intend to do on the Party Wall. For example, if the plan is to demolish a wall and a build a new one, then each action will require a separate notice, i.e. Party Structure Notice and a Notice of Adjacent Excavation will need to be served in this instance. 

image of building surveyor

Party Wall Process

Schedule of Condition

building surveyor surrey

Party Wall Awards